WATCH: Gay Priest Speaks Against Minnesota Marriage Amendment
BY Julie Bolcer
July 16 2012 9:40 AM ET
Father Bob Pierson, a gay priest in Minnesota, told a group of 200 Catholics last month that they can vote against the amendment that would place a same-sex marriage ban in the state constitution this November.
Pierson, who belongs to a monastic community at St. John’s University in Collegeville, gave the advice in a speech June 10 at an event in Edina, according to MinnPost. The speech has received more than 30,000 views on YouTube, where Minnesotans United for All Families, the coalition working to defeat the ballot measure, posted it.
"I believe this amendment violates an important principle in Catholic teaching and that as Catholics, we can vote no," Pierson said.
Pierson said his argument was based on the principle of freedom of conscience. He referred to the writings of “a young theologian by the name of Joseph Ratzinger,” now known to the world as Pope Benedict XVI, for support.
“Over the pope as expression of the binding claim of ecclesiastical authority, there stands one's own conscience which must be obeyed before all else, even if necessary against the requirement of ecclesiastical authority,” wrote the future leader of the Roman Catholic Church in 1967.
The comments put Pierson at odds with the Catholic hierarchy in Minnesota, where Archbishop John Nienstedt of St. Paul and Minneapolis has told priests he would tolerate “no open dissention” on the marriage ban. Several dioceses have spent more than $1 million to promote the ballot measure, according to MinnPost.
A Public Policy Polling survey from June showed support for the measure declining, with 49% of voters opposed compared to 43% in favor. Most of the shift has come from independent voters, who now oppose the ban by 54% to 37%.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM