NOM Reminds Us That Both Genders Are Represented in Polygamist Marriages
BY Lucas Grindley
August 06 2012 3:56 PM ET
Marriage equality supporters had been passing around a graphical reminder that the "biblical definition" of marriage includes concubines, polygamists, and slavery. But the National Organization for Marriage has a different take on its meaning.
"Look carefully at the image and you will see that in ALL of the examples, both genders are represented," wrote NOM's Ruth Institute blogger Jennifer Thieme today. "This image reinforces the conservative position about needing a gender requirement, it does not undermine our position."
The graphic was being shared on Facebook to point out that the likes of NOM and Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy are misrepresenting the "biblical definition" of marriage. Marriage equality opponents say the Bible defined marriage as the union of one man and one woman while ignoring the other definitions it includes. Deuteronomy required any virgin who is raped to marry her rapist, for example. And men routinely had multiple wives (or concubines on the side).
"If NOM and its Ruth Institute really believe that the blatant hypocrisy of selective Biblical interpretation adds integrity to their argument, let them continue to flaunt it," wrote Zach Ford in reaction on ThinkProgress. "It only illuminates their obvious bias against gays and lesbians."
The graphic below is by Ryan Grant Long. What do you see?
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 7 min 22 sec ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 2 hours 16 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM