Kentucky Gay Couple Allowed to File for Joint Bankruptcy
BY Michelle Garcia
August 07 2012 5:52 PM ET
A federal bankruptcy court has granted a gay couple in Louisville, Ky., the right to file for bankruptcy together.
Bob Joles and Joey Lester wed in Buffalo, N.Y., in May. They have been fighting their home state to recognize their union, with little result. However, Joles and Lester became the first same-sex couple to legally file jointly for bankruptcy in June, and in July, a judge reaffirmed their joint filing.
According to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, the filing was accepted because the Obama Administration decided it would not longer contest similar filings by married same-sex couples, making them the first gay married couple to successfully file jointly for bankruptcy in their state.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 1 hour 30 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 2 hours 34 min ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM