Kentucky Gay Couple Allowed to File for Joint Bankruptcy
BY Michelle Garcia
August 07 2012 6:52 PM ET
A federal bankruptcy court has granted a gay couple in Louisville, Ky., the right to file for bankruptcy together.
Bob Joles and Joey Lester wed in Buffalo, N.Y., in May. They have been fighting their home state to recognize their union, with little result. However, Joles and Lester became the first same-sex couple to legally file jointly for bankruptcy in June, and in July, a judge reaffirmed their joint filing.
According to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, the filing was accepted because the Obama Administration decided it would not longer contest similar filings by married same-sex couples, making them the first gay married couple to successfully file jointly for bankruptcy in their state.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- PHOTOS: New Yorkers Combat Violence With Protest
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 1 hour 51 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 1 hour 56 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 8:00 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM