Appeals Court Won't Stall DOMA Challenge
BY Trudy Ring
August 24 2012 3:18 PM ET
A U.S. appeals court has dealt another setback to the Republicans in Congress who are defending the Defense of Marriage Act.
The Second Circuit Court of Appeals Thursday denied the Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group’s request to suspend oral arguments in lesbian widow Edith Windsor’s case against DOMA. Windsor is seeking repayment of estate taxes she would not have owed had her marriage been recognized by the federal government.
Windsor and her lawyers have asked the Supreme Court to review her case, and because of this, the Republican-led BLAG, which has tried to stall several DOMA challenges, proposed bypassing the appeals court. BLAG took up the defense of DOMA after the Obama administration declared it would no longer do so.
However, in the original filing, Windsor’s lawyers noted the importance of the Second Circuit hearing the case, as it is the only circuit in which all states allow same-sex couples to marry. The circuit consists of New York, Connecticut, and Vermont.
“Therefore, Windsor suggests it is ‘vitally important that the Second Circuit be heard on this issue and be heard as expeditiously as possible in order to ensure that legally married same-sex couples in New York, Connecticut, and Vermont are protected from the daily unconstitutional burdens and indignities imposed by DOMA’ and ‘this Court may provide important guidance to other courts throughout the country (as well as the Supreme Court) on the appropriate level of scrutiny for laws that discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation,’” reports Prop8TrialTracker.com.
Oral arguments in Windsor’s case will be heard September 27.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 2 hours 5 min ago
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 4:34 AM
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 4:00 AM
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM