Minnesota Basketball Star Opposes Marriage Amendment
BY Trudy Ring
September 04 2012 3:06 PM ET
University of Minnesota basketball star Trevor Mbakwe has joined the team of those opposing the state’s anti–marriage equality constitutional amendment.
In a post on Minnesotans for Equality’s Facebook page, he writes, “This proposed amendment would permanently ADD in discrimination to our states constitution. This feels like taking a step back in time, it’s 2012, and this sort of extreme act is not only unfair ... it’s anti-Minnesotan! By voting NO to this extreme Marriage Amendment, you’re sending a message that you support the rights for all loving couples, gay or straight.”
Mbakwe, a forward who is a top rebounder for Minnesota’s Gophers, also invites readers to a September 14 party to raise awareness of the issue and funds for the fight. Minnesotans will vote on the amendment November 6.
Other well-known athletes who have come out against the amendment include Chris Kluwe, punter for the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings, according to Outsports.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action 1 hour 55 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 2 hours 40 min ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 2 hours 41 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 2 hours 57 min ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM