Marriage Equality Foes Protest Across France
BY Sunnivie Brydum
November 17 2012 3:03 PM ET
Nearly a dozen French cities saw protesters opposed to marriage equality line the streets Saturday, the Associated Press reports.
The protesters carried signs with slogans such as "One child = one mother + one father." No stranger to elaborate costumes, the protesters were dressed in white, blue, and pink, a variation on the nation's tricolor flag of red, white, and blue. Protesters included Catholic and anti-equality groups, and numbered in the thousands in some cities, reports the AP. A similar coordinated protest took place in several French cities last month as well.
Calling their protest the March for Everyone, several thousand people marched in Paris, Lyon, Toulouse, and other cities around the country.
French president François Hollande supports marriage equality legislation introduced in October, calling the policy "marriage for everyone." The draft legislation recieved initial approval from Hollande and his cabinet earlier this month, reports Towleroad.
As part of the proposed marriage equality law and its corresponding adoption rights for same-sex couples, France is also considering removing gendered language referring to "mother" and "father" in its civil code, instead adopting the gender-neutral options "parent 1" and "parent 2."
A recent survey found that a majority of French citizens support marriage rights for gay and lesbian couples, while support for adoption by same-sex couples hovers around 50%, according to the AP. In France only married couples may legally adopt children.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 1 hour 6 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 1 hour 31 min ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 2 hours 5 min ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM