Proposed Law Allows Wives of Gay Men an Annulment in China
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
January 17 2013 2:39 PM ET
A new report released last week in China by the First Intermediate People's Court of Beijing calls for legislation that would make it legal for anyone who discovers their spouse is gay to get an annulment rather than a divorce. According to China Daily, the country has" at least 10 million 'gay wives,' according to prominent sexologist Zhang Beichuan, adding that nearly 90 percent of gay men are already married to or will eventually marry heterosexual women, as same-sex marriage is banned in the country."
The report concludes that the change in legal status (from "divorced" to "single") would better protect teh rights of women. Tabitha, a 24-year-old member of the Tongqi Association, a support group for wives of gay men, said that the difficulties facing "divorced" women in China are so extreme that many wives of gay men stay married.
"A divorced man in his 40s can still be sought-after and find a 20-something woman to marry," she told China Daily. "But when it comes to a divorced woman of the same age, that is absolutely not the case."
The news organization also reports that the proposal has caused a backlash from the gay community, who say that legalizing same-sex marriage and allowing gay men to have familes without marrying a womam would be a more progressive move. Others say the legislation should distinguish between men who realized they were gay after getting married, rather than before.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 2 hours 44 min ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM