Ten GOP Senators Sign Brief Supporting DOMA
BY Trudy Ring
February 08 2013 1:36 PM ET
Ten Republican U.S. senators — out of a total of 45 — have filed a friend-of-the-court brief supporting congressional leaders in their defense of the Defense of Marriage Act.
The 10 are Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, Orrin Hatch of Utah, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, Saxby Chambliss of Georgia, Dan Coats of Indiana, Mike Crapo of Idaho, Charles Grassley of Iowa, Richard Shelby of Alabama, and Thad Cochran and Roger Wicker, both of Mississippi, reports Equality on Trial.
The brief comes in the case of Windsor v. United States, which the U.S. Supreme Court will hear in March. As the Obama administration has declined to defend DOMA, the Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group, led by Republicans in the Senate and House, has taken up defense of the antigay law.
Those who signed on to the brief claim their support of DOMA, which prevents the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages, is not based on hostility to gays and lesbians. “There is no basis to equate support for the traditional definition of marriage with unconstitutional animus or ‘a bare congressional desire to harm a politically unpopular group,’” the brief says.
Later, it continues, “It is simply not irrational or bigoted to oppose the redefinition of marriage in a manner ‘unknown to history and tradition,’ to use the language of the court below. … To the contrary, when faced with a proposed fundamental redefinition of the institution of marriage, it would be irrational not to consider ‘American society’s historical view of a marriage as being between a man and a woman.’”
Read more here.
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM