WATCH: Alaska Republicans Laugh at Reporter Who Asks About Gay Couples
BY Lucas Grindley
February 17 2013 11:32 AM ET
State Republican lawmakers in Alaska had a good laugh after a reporter asked whether they'd support recognizing same-sex couples' relationships.
Mark Miller of the Juneau Empire is shown in video of the moment asking the question: "I was just curious, would the caucus support the idea of having domestic partnerships or civil unions open to same-sex couples?"
Then the giggles begin.
LGBT people are not included in the state's hate crimes law, or with an anti-discrimination law for the workplace or housing. No law addresses LGBT needs from the foster care or adoption system. And the law explictly limits recognition of couples to "one man and one woman."
The reporter's question is prefaced by results of a recent Public Policy Polling survey that found 67% of Alaskans support some form of legal recognition, while not quite ready for marriage. On whether same-sex couples should be allowed to wed, 51% said no, while 43% said yes.
But if you ask that same question to state Republicans, you just get a big laugh. Watch the video below. (h/t to Towleroad)
- Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
- LISTEN: Right-Wing Pundits Blast Guinness's Pullout From St. Pat's Parade
- WATCH: Ark. High School Yearbook Refuses to Profile Out Student
- A Brief History of Gays and the St. Patrick's Day Parade
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Youth School Bans Bullied Kid's My Little Pony Schoolbag 21 min 21 sec ago
- Transgender Wendy Williams Apologizes for Transphobic Panel Discussion 28 min 48 sec ago
- Television RPDR: Music Producer Lucian Piane on Pushing RuPaul & Working with Idol Contestants 34 min 56 sec ago
- Television How I Met Your Dad Adds Second Gay Character 36 min 43 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Wanda to Ellen: Look At the Lesbian Falling Off the Pole 39 min 58 sec ago
- Media LISTEN: Right-Wing Pundits Blast Guinness's Pullout From St. Pat's Parade 47 min 23 sec ago
- Travel WeHo's Most Notorious Nudie Motel Going Mainstream 1 hour 20 min ago