Illinois House Executive Committee Passes Marriage Equality
BY Nick Pachelli
February 27 2013 1:57 PM ET
On Tuesday the Illinois House Executive Committee passed and advanced a marriage equality bill in a six to five vote. Sponsored by St. Rep. Greg Harris, a Democrat from Chicago, the bill would bring equal marriage rights to Illinois.
The bill now heads to a full House of Representatives vote and should be voted upon in early March.
Committee members voted on the bill along party lines with the exception of Democratic state Rep. Eddie Lee Jackson, Sr. who voted against it. This step exemplifies the momentum behind the marriage equality movement in Illinois, and supporters believe they already have 60 votes in the house. With those votes the bill would move to Gov. Quinn’s desk for a signature. Democrats do have an overwhelming majority in the state House, however not all Democrats are expected to vote in favor of the bill.
Civil unions have been available for same-sex couple since June 2011. This bill would make Illinois the tenth state to legalize same-sex marriage.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 2 hours 35 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM