Illinois Making Marriage Equality Push
BY Trudy Ring
March 02 2013 8:23 AM ET
Illinois activists for LGBT rights are making a home-stretch push for passage of marriage equality legislation, which is expected to come up in the state House of Representatives next week.
The bill has been passed by the state Senate, and Gov. Pat Quinn has promised to sign it. It would make Illinois the 10th U.S. state with marriage equality.
Rep. Greg Harris of Chicago, the bill’s chief House sponsor, sent a letter to supporters throughout the state Thursday emphasizing the need for concentrated activity to assure its passage. “In the final days of this campaign, it’s critical that we keep up the pressure until this bill passes. As the House sponsor of the bill, I’m prepared to put it all on the line until we pass SB10 in the House,” Harris wrote in the letter.
Sen. Heather Steans, the Senate sponsor, also sent out a letter underlining the importance of grassroots support. Other activist efforts include phone banks, postcard mailings, and individual meetings with legislators.
“The commitment and energy of our volunteers is amazing,” said Bernard Cherkasov, CEO of LGBT rights group Equality Illinois. “We can only succeed if people step up to contact their House members and volunteer for this campaign.”
Illinois Unites for Marriage, a coalition including Equality Illinois, Lambda Legal, and the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois, is scheduling phone banks for Monday around the state to urge support for the bill. Prospective volunteers can choose a shift and get more information here.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 1 hour 28 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 2 hours 12 min ago
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 2 hours 30 min ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 2 hours 43 min ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 6:15 PM