Illinois Making Marriage Equality Push
BY Trudy Ring
March 02 2013 8:23 AM ET
Illinois activists for LGBT rights are making a home-stretch push for passage of marriage equality legislation, which is expected to come up in the state House of Representatives next week.
The bill has been passed by the state Senate, and Gov. Pat Quinn has promised to sign it. It would make Illinois the 10th U.S. state with marriage equality.
Rep. Greg Harris of Chicago, the bill’s chief House sponsor, sent a letter to supporters throughout the state Thursday emphasizing the need for concentrated activity to assure its passage. “In the final days of this campaign, it’s critical that we keep up the pressure until this bill passes. As the House sponsor of the bill, I’m prepared to put it all on the line until we pass SB10 in the House,” Harris wrote in the letter.
Sen. Heather Steans, the Senate sponsor, also sent out a letter underlining the importance of grassroots support. Other activist efforts include phone banks, postcard mailings, and individual meetings with legislators.
“The commitment and energy of our volunteers is amazing,” said Bernard Cherkasov, CEO of LGBT rights group Equality Illinois. “We can only succeed if people step up to contact their House members and volunteer for this campaign.”
Illinois Unites for Marriage, a coalition including Equality Illinois, Lambda Legal, and the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois, is scheduling phone banks for Monday around the state to urge support for the bill. Prospective volunteers can choose a shift and get more information here.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 29 min 7 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 44 min 50 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 1 hour 1 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 1 hour 19 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 1 hour 21 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 51 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 2 hours 44 min ago