Arkansas House Committee Reaffirms Support for DOMA
BY Neal Broverman
March 23 2013 1:25 PM ET
A committee of the Republican-dominated Arkansas house overwhelmingly approved a resolution supporting the state's constitutional ban against same-sex marriage, as well as the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which the Supreme Court is set to decide on the constitutionality of soon.
With no discussion or roll call, the resolution passed Friday morning. It was put forth by GOP Rep. Jim Dotson of Bentonville, the home of the Wal-Mart corporation. The Arkansas Times notes that the resolution was in shell form but passed anyway, saying, with snark, that "some things are just instinctive for the legislature, of course. Guns and tax cuts good. Women's rights and homosexuality, bad."
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Has Gaga Lost the Gays?
- Philly: Catholic High School Fires Basketball Coach for Connection to Antigay Beating
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Jon Stewart Remembers When The NFL's Biggest Distraction Was a Gay Player