WATCH LIVE: Minnesota House Debates Marriage Equality
BY Sunnivie Brydum
May 09 2013 1:08 PM ET UPDATED: May 09 2013 5:43 PM ET
The Minnesota House of Representatives began its work today by debating a bill that would legalize marriage equality.
The legislation, House File 1054, would provide for marriage between any two adults, but would not require religious institutions or individuals to perform or recognize same-sex marriages.
The House spent a good deal of time debating an amendment proposed by Republican representative Tim Kelly, which would create civil unions for same-sex couples rather than offer them equal marriage rights.
Gov. Mark Dayton has said that he would sign a marriage equality bill if it reached his desk. In November, Minnesota voters rejected a proposed constitutional amendment that would have banned same-sex marriage in the state.
House speaker Paul Thissen, a Minneapolis member of the ruling Democratic-Farmer-Labor party, told Minnesota's Pioneer Press that he and other equality supporters in the House believe the 73-member DFL majority has the 68 votes needed to pass the marriage equality bill, even without a single Republican vote.
Watch the livestream below, in which supporters rallying outside the chamber can be heard chanting and singing as the representatives debate the freedom to marry.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 2 hours 37 min ago
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM