Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
BY Trudy Ring
May 21 2013 7:25 PM ET
The United Kingdom is moving closer to marriage equality, with the House of Commons approving a bill today to allow same-sex marriage in England and Wales.
The House of Commons passed the measure by a vote of 366 to 161, moving it on to the House of Lords, the other chamber of Parliament, the BBC reports. Prime Minister David Cameron backs the bill and would like to see same-sex marriages begin by next summer. The U.K. currently offers civil partnerships to same-sex couples.
The bill had support from most Labour and Liberal Democratic members of Parliament, with much of the opposition coming from the Conservative Party, of which Cameron is a member. Some Conservatives had proposed offering civil partnerships to heterosexual couples if gay partners were granted equal marriage rights, a move that observers thought might impede the marriage bill’s chance of passing, but that proposal was defeated.
The House of Lords is expected to take up the marriage legislation Wednesday, and “further heated discussion” is likely, the BBC notes. There were demonstrations by marriage equality opponents outside the Parliament building today, and tensions continue within the Conservative Party. Lord Andrew Feldman, cochairman of the Conservatives, recently was accused of calling right-wing party activists “mad, swivel-eyed loons,” something he has denied, and some party members say Cameron and other Conservative leaders are out of touch with the rank and file.
Meanwhile, some Conservatives are putting homophobia on display, voicing concern about “the aggressive homosexual community” and the possibility of “the lesbian queen and the artificially inseminated heir.” Read more here.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Transcript and Video: Olympic Diver Tom Daley Comes Out
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM