WATCH: Key Players in Wash. Marriage Equality Victory Raise Equality Flag on Space Needle
BY Sunnivie Brydum
July 01 2013 2:23 PM ET UPDATED: July 02 2013 1:01 PM ET
As Washington residents celebrated Pride on Sunday, Seattle's Space Needle went red for marriage equality — one of just a handful of times the city's iconic landmark has raised an LGBT-related flag. After Space Needle officials refused to fly a rainbow flag last year, they apparently reached a compromise this year, after Washington voters approved marriage equality legislation enacted by the Governor in last November's election.
This year, a group of individuals instrumental in bringing the freedom to marry to Washington State raised a giant flag with a red Human Rights Campaign logo emblazoned across an outline of Washington State. Pride grand marshals Jane Abbot Lighty and her wife, Pete-e Petersen, were the first same-sex couple to legally marry in Washington last year, so it seemed fitting that the octogenarian couple, who've been together for more than 30 years, hoisted the flag to queer the state's most recognizable landmark.
Find more photos on the following pages:
A flagless Needle.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 32 min 5 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 1 hour 32 min ago
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM