WATCH: Key Players in Wash. Marriage Equality Victory Raise Equality Flag on Space Needle
BY Sunnivie Brydum
July 01 2013 2:23 PM ET UPDATED: July 02 2013 1:01 PM ET
As Washington residents celebrated Pride on Sunday, Seattle's Space Needle went red for marriage equality — one of just a handful of times the city's iconic landmark has raised an LGBT-related flag. After Space Needle officials refused to fly a rainbow flag last year, they apparently reached a compromise this year, after Washington voters approved marriage equality legislation enacted by the Governor in last November's election.
This year, a group of individuals instrumental in bringing the freedom to marry to Washington State raised a giant flag with a red Human Rights Campaign logo emblazoned across an outline of Washington State. Pride grand marshals Jane Abbot Lighty and her wife, Pete-e Petersen, were the first same-sex couple to legally marry in Washington last year, so it seemed fitting that the octogenarian couple, who've been together for more than 30 years, hoisted the flag to queer the state's most recognizable landmark.
Find more photos on the following pages:
A flagless Needle.
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 33 min 9 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 1 hour 5 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 1 hour 14 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 1 hour 30 min ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 1 hour 30 min ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 2 hours 12 min ago
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 4:28 PM