Pride Flies High in Seattle
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 26 2010 9:25 PM ET
For the first time, a rainbow flag is flying on top of Seattle’s Space Needle in recognition of gay pride in the city.
SeattlePI.com’s Joe Mirabella was among the group of people who climbed to the top of the iconic tower on Friday to help raise the flag.
“The Space Needle attracts millions of visitors a year and is a privately owned business,” Mirabella wrote. “It is an amazing sign of progress that an institution like the Space Needle is ready to celebrate with our community this weekend. I am proud of Seattle. I am proud of my community.”
Read Mirabella’s report and see more photos here.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- That's Amoré! 11 Irresistible Images of What Happened When Rome Recognized Same-Sex Marriages
- Op-ed: 22 Reasons Queer History Is Important
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- Op-ed: We Must End PrEP Segregation