Space Needle Refuses to Fly Its Gay Flag
BY Lucas Grindley
June 21 2012 7:12 PM ET
The operators of Seattle's iconic Space Needle say this is the year they stop flying a rainbow flag in honor of LGBT pride.
It's also the year voters in Washington State will decide whether to keep a marriage equality law on the books. They vote in November, thanks to a petition drive from opponents of the new law.
Although the Space Needle has hoisted a rainbow flag for the last two years, management tells the Seattle P-I that it's got an all American flag policy these days.
“As we don’t raise any flag but the American flag on a regular basis, there are no plans to raise the Rainbow Flag again this year," reads a statement to the Seattle P-I. "We will continue to support equal rights and actively foster these causes as we have in the past.”
The P-I has posted a slideshow of other types of flags flying above the Space Needle.
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
- Photos: Cuba Libre
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
- Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill
- WATCH: Transgender Woman Arrested for Exposing Breasts, Jailed With Men
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM