Space Needle Refuses to Fly Its Gay Flag
BY Lucas Grindley
June 21 2012 6:12 PM ET
The operators of Seattle's iconic Space Needle say this is the year they stop flying a rainbow flag in honor of LGBT pride.
It's also the year voters in Washington State will decide whether to keep a marriage equality law on the books. They vote in November, thanks to a petition drive from opponents of the new law.
Although the Space Needle has hoisted a rainbow flag for the last two years, management tells the Seattle P-I that it's got an all American flag policy these days.
“As we don’t raise any flag but the American flag on a regular basis, there are no plans to raise the Rainbow Flag again this year," reads a statement to the Seattle P-I. "We will continue to support equal rights and actively foster these causes as we have in the past.”
The P-I has posted a slideshow of other types of flags flying above the Space Needle.
- VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers
- Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees
- LGBT Activist Goes Missing in Buffalo, Community Rallies
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet?
- Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013
- Travel PHOTOS: Amazing Gay Rodeo Exhibit in Indianapolis December 21 2013 6:34 PM
- Media Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees December 21 2013 5:37 PM
- Media Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet? December 21 2013 3:03 PM
- Media VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers December 21 2013 2:25 PM
- Business Lockheed Martin Cuts Off Money to Antigay Boy Scouts December 21 2013 1:10 PM
- Transgender LGBT Activist Goes Missing, Community Rallies December 21 2013 12:08 PM
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill December 21 2013 6:00 AM