Bernice King Opposes Marriage Equality, But 'I'm Not The Enemy'
BY Lucas Grindley
July 28 2013 9:30 AM ET
Bernice King, the daughter of the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr., in a new interview is again invoking his memory as reason she opposes marriage equality. But she also wants LGBT activists to know "I'm not the enemy."
King has in the past said her father “did not take a bullet for same-sex marriage,” and in 2004 she marched in Atlanta alongside antigay Pastor Eddie Long to protest same-sex marriage.
According to the Georgia Voice, King tells Atlanta Magazine in its upcoming August issue that while she opposes marriage equality, she isn't homophobic.
"People have labeled me homophobic. If I was homophobic, I wouldn't have friends who are gay and lesbian, so that can't be true," she said, according to the report. "But because I have a certain belief system, I am now the enemy. And I'm not the enemy. I have love for everybody, period."
King went on to say she believes marriage should be only between a man and a woman. "Spiritually I value that. Psychologically I value that. I know that the absence of my father in my life had its cost."
The late Coretta Scott King was outspoken in favor of equal rights for LGBT Americans, and noted that her husband sympathized with Bayard Rustin, the gay man who aided his civil rights work.
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM