WATCH: Cory Booker Shuts Down Religious Heckler at Gay Marriage
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 21 2013 11:11 AM ET
While performing one of the state's first same-sex marriages during a midnight ceremony on Monday in New Jersey, Newark mayor Cory Booker had an antigay Christian heckler removed from the room.
Booker was officiating the marriage of his longtime friends Orville Belle and Joseph Panessidi, who have been waiting to marry for 15 years, inside the rotunda at Newark City Hall.
"This is unlawful in the eyes of God!" shouted a heckler when Booker asked if anyone knew of a reason the couple should not be joined in matrimony.
"Well, sir — please remove that person," replied the outgoing mayor of Newark and the state's newest senator-elect as the heckler continued to shout while being removed. "And not hearing any substantive, worthy objections, I now will proceed with the vows," continued Booker to an enthusiastic round of applause.
Watch the marriage ceremony below, with Booker's concise dismissal of the right-wing bigot starting around the 2:20 mark.
- Parenting What's in My Dad Bag? 35 min 48 sec ago
- Politics Timeline: When Executive Orders Came First? 1 hour 36 min ago
- Current Issue One Issue Still Bucks The Trend for LGBT Equality 2 hours 35 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 4:00 AM
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM