WATCH: Cory Booker Shuts Down Religious Heckler at Gay Marriage
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 21 2013 12:11 PM ET
While performing one of the state's first same-sex marriages during a midnight ceremony on Monday in New Jersey, Newark mayor Cory Booker had an antigay Christian heckler removed from the room.
Booker was officiating the marriage of his longtime friends Orville Belle and Joseph Panessidi, who have been waiting to marry for 15 years, inside the rotunda at Newark City Hall.
"This is unlawful in the eyes of God!" shouted a heckler when Booker asked if anyone knew of a reason the couple should not be joined in matrimony.
"Well, sir — please remove that person," replied the outgoing mayor of Newark and the state's newest senator-elect as the heckler continued to shout while being removed. "And not hearing any substantive, worthy objections, I now will proceed with the vows," continued Booker to an enthusiastic round of applause.
Watch the marriage ceremony below, with Booker's concise dismissal of the right-wing bigot starting around the 2:20 mark.
- Op-ed: Gay Nightlife Is Dead — Long Live Gay Nightlife
- Op-ed: Rethinking the Shame Game Against Homophobes
- Op-ed: I'm a Gay Guy at a Christian College
- New ABC Talker Laura Ingraham Has Antigay Record
- WATCH: Sprint Sends Customer Email to 'Gay Sissyboy'
- WATCH: Ala. Woman Charged With Murder of Son's Boyfriend