WATCH: Jon Stewart Celebrates Marriage Equality in 'The Newark Normal'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 22 2013 11:08 AM ET
Jon Stewart gleefully reported on the arrival of marriage equality in his home state of New Jersey on The Daily Show last night.
His segment hung on Newark mayor and senator-elect Cory Booker's officiating of one of the first same-sex marriages in the state, just after midnight on Monday.
While one might have expected that Stewart would touch on the religious heckler who interrupted the ceremony between Orville Belle and Joseph Panessidi, the comedian notably didn't touch on the subject. Instead, Stewart lampooned Booker's admittedly awkward delivery of the marriage rites.
Stewart first turned his attention to Booker's odd explanation of reciting the standard question about if anyone knows why the couple shouldn't be joined in matrimony, noting that he "has to do this by law."
"[In New Jersey], you are required by law to ask if anyone objects to the wedding," explains Stewart. "And not just weddings. In New Jersey, you have to do that for everything — It's part of the 'You Got a Problem With That?' Act."
Watch Stewart's good-natured prodding at his home state becoming the 14th (plus the District of Columbia) to embrace marriage equality.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor
- Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 2 hours 59 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM