WATCH: Wis. Gov. Says Marriage Ban Contributes to 'Healthy Balance'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
November 25 2013 2:41 PM ET
Wisconsin governor Scott Walker has told Bloomberg TV that he believes workplace protections for LGBT people can peacefully coexist with a state law prohibiting same-sex marriage.
The Republican governor, who withstood a recall effort in 2012, told Bloomerg's Al Hunt that he supports the federal Employment Non-Discrimination Act, because similar comprehensive legislation has been highly successful in Wisconsin since it was enacted in 1982, making the state the first to ban antigay discrimination.
But Walker doesn't see any contradiction in state law that prohibits someone from being fired because they're gay, lesbian, or bisexual, but also refuses to grant equal rights to married same-sex couples. In fact, he thinks that's a "healthy balance" of legal support for a marginalized community.
"In Wisconsin, we’ve had antidiscriminatory laws that are very similar to [ENDA] for more than 30 years and they work quite effectively," Walker explained. "We’re also a state that has a constitutional amendment that defines marriage as one man and one woman … I mean, we’ve not had problems. We’ve had no problems — I should say, limited problems — with [antidiscrimination laws]. At the same time, we still have a constitutional amendment that defines marriage. There’s a healthy balance there."
Watch Walker's comments below.
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 37 min 30 sec ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 43 min 10 sec ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 1 hour 43 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 1 hour 58 min ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 2 hours 18 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM