Bill Could Force Fed Government to Recognize State Marriage Laws
BY Michelle Garcia
January 10 2014 4:36 PM ET
Texas congressman Randy Weber introduced legislation Thursday that would bar the federal government from recognizing marriages of same-sex couples who live in states where marriage equality has not been established.
A couple's place of residency would have to be verified as one of the states or other jurisdictions (such asWashington, D.C.) with marriage equality in order to be recognized by the federal government under Weber's proposed State Marriage Defense Act. He said this is an attempt to uphold the Tenth Amendment in the U.S. Constitution, which allows for states to govern themselves in matters not under the jurisdiction of the federal governent.
"For too long, however, the federal government has slowly been eroding state’s rights by promulgating rules and regulations through federal agencies," Weber said in a statement Thursday. He added, "By requiring that the federal government defer to the laws of a person’s state of legal residence in determining marital status, we can protect states’ constitutionally established powers from the arbitrary overreach of unelected bureaucrats.”
Since the Supreme Court struck down the Defense of Marriage Act in June, the federal goverment has begun recognizing same-sex marriages that took place in any state or city where such marriages are legal, no matter where the couple lives.
Weber introduced his legislation with 28 House cosponsors. It is supported by several antigay organizations, including the National Organization for Marriage, the Family Research Council, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, and Concerned Women for America.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 50 min 10 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 2 hours 13 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 2 hours 28 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 2 hours 45 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM