Nate Silver Mocks Accusation He's Too 'Effeminate' to Analyze Polls
BY Lucas Grindley
October 28 2012 11:05 AM ET
Nate Silver has finally found a polling model that shows Mitt Romney winning — not that he thinks it has any credibility.
In a tweet on Friday, Silver called out the founder of a conspiratorial website called "Unskewed Polls," Dean Chambers, who wrote an op-ed attacking Silver as "a man of very small stature" and "a thin and effeminate man with a soft-sounding voice."
Apparently only truly manly men can analyze polling data. Chambers's website recasts all mainstream polls with Republican-leaning survey samples so they are truly "unskewed" — or shall we say "fair and balanced?" He's gotten a lot of attention in conservative blogs and on the bearer of that tagline, Fox News.
Silver is a self-described geek who writes for the New York Times and is the founder of FiveThirtyEight. One of our favorite pieces of Nate Silver data analysis was his conclusion that gay friendlier states have lower divorce rates.
But he's known for having correctly predicted the popular vote in 2008 within one percentage point, correctly predicted the outcome in every state except Indiana plus accurately forecast all of the Senate races. Silver is also the author of the book, The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail-but Some Don't. He finds Chambers pretty amusing.
"This is pretty awesome," Silver wrote on Twitter. "Per http://unskwedpolls.com, I am 'a thin and effeminate man' & therefore not to be trusted."
Silver summarized the attack this way: "Unskewedpolls argument: Nate Silver seems kinda gay + ??? = Romney landslide!"
- Op-ed: Pope Francis Has Not Made Good on Transgender Rights
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
- Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 27 Awesome Gifts for Entertainment Buffs 36 min 52 sec ago
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars December 19 2013 11:06 PM
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay December 19 2013 8:42 PM
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies December 19 2013 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film December 19 2013 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out December 19 2013 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain December 19 2013 6:33 PM