WATCH: Rachel Maddow Celebrates Historic Week for LGBT Rights
BY Trudy Ring
March 30 2013 6:53 PM ET
In a week marked by two cases on marriage equality being heard in the Supreme Court, Rachel Maddow ended it appropriated by toasting a “historic week” in LGBT history.
On her show Friday night she featured footage of a protest by gay activists at a New York City marriage license bureau in 1971, read a letter from a gay soldier’s father, and discussed Edie Windsor’s love for her late wife. Windsor is the plaintiff in the challenge to the Defense of Marriage Act that was argued before the high court Wednesday.
“There are all sorts of people and all sorts of fights that technically are not still around,” she said. “But they live, and we can see them. We can see their light in some of the biggest — deal and most difficult things that we do today. Whether or not you see equal rights for gay people as your particular fight —whether or not you even agree with that particular fight--this was a really big historic week for that fight, and therefore for our country. All the work, all the generations of work to get here, in fact, got us here. It worked.”
Then, noting Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s remark this week that unequal treatment of gay couples’ marriages makes them “skim milk marriages,” for her “cocktail moment,” Maddow mixed a “full cream” Brandy Alexander. “This is no skim milk cocktail, and I think America’s about to leave skim milk marriages behind,” she said. Watch below.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM