Glenn Greenwald Announces First Digital Magazine, Focusing on NSA Documents
BY Ran Aubrey Frazier
February 07 2014 6:13 PM ET
First Look Media, the new home of journalists Glenn Greenwald, Laura Poitras, and Jeremy Scahill, will launch its inaugural digital magazine sometime next week. Greenwald and Poitras are perhaps best known for their groundbreaking NSA surveillance coverage, and their video interview with Edward Snowden, in which he revealed himself as the source behind the leaked NSA files. Scahill is a Polk Award-winning journalist, who writes on national security issues for The Nation.
Based on a February 6 memo, cowritten by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar, who now helms First Look, and its editorial director Eric Bates, the digital publication will focus on "in-depth reporting on the classified documents previously provided by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden."
In the statement, Omidyar and Bates assert "a dramatic escalation in the threats against journalists reporting on the NSA story." In the interest of protecting journalistic rights around the world, First Look is "launching the new site as a public service, committed to reporting on one of the most pressing issues of our time in a transparent and responsible manner."
It is believed that Greenwald and Poitras will feature their reporting on the NSA documents on the new digital platform, whose exact launch date will soon be announced on Greenwald and Scahill's Twitter accounts. Journalists Peter Maass, Marcy Wheeler, and Ryan Gallagher, all of whom report of stories in the public interest, will join Greenwald and Poitras on the digital publication's team.
Omidyar, who pledged $250 million towards First Look in October 2013, stated that long-term funding plans are still undefined. "We’ll experiment with new and old revenue sources," he wrote, "and create entirely ones."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- A Letter to My Partners
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 28 sec ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 7 min 17 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 10 min 18 sec ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 1 hour 32 min ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 1 hour 45 min ago
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 1 hour 58 min ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 2 hours 1 min ago