WATCH: Maddow on the Marriage Equality 'Revolution'
BY Ran Aubrey Frazier
February 18 2014 8:25 PM ET
MSNBC's Rachel Maddow is hailing recent marriage equality rulings as a "revolution happening in the federal courts" at "lightning speed."
On her Friday episode, Maddow hosted Kenji Yoshino, a constitutional law professor at New York University (and former Advocate contributor), who discussed the importance of recent pro-equality decisions in Virginia, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Utah.
Yoshino noted that last year's U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Windsor v. United States, which made it possible for the federal government to recognize same-sex marriages, left it to the lower courts to suss out "whether it was a states' power decision or whether it was a gay rights decision." The rulings of the past few months, Yoshino told Maddow, indicate that the lower courts are interpreting Windsor as a gay rights case.
"Now, the decisions are piling up and accumulating in a way that ... is very, very powerful, in terms of how this case is going to be teed up for the ultimate decision by the United States Supreme Court," Yoshino predicted.
Watch the segment below.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 21 min 23 sec ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 1 hour 2 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 1 hour 7 min ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2 hours 25 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2:18 PM
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court UPDATED: 2:12 PM
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1:48 PM