When Barney Frank Came Out of the Room
BY Trudy Ring
December 03 2012 3:22 PM ET
In 1986, when it appeared then-closeted gay congressman Barney Frank would be outed by a former colleague, Speaker of the House Tip O’Neill told a staffer Frank would be “coming out of the room.”
That’s one of the stories Frank tells in an interview with Washington Post reporter Ed O’Keefe, one of the Post’s series of “exit interviews” with retiring legislators.
Frank notes that in 1986, former congressman Bob Bauman, who came out after being implicated in a gay sex scandal, was publishing a book in which he strongly implied that Frank was gay. Frank went to O’Neill, a longtime Massachusetts politician who had mentored him, to alert him that this news might break. O’Neill said not to worry about such rumors, but Frank told him the rumor was true.
After expressing some sadness that the fact might cost Frank the opportunity to be the first Jewish House speaker, O’Neill told the news to his press secretary, Chris Matthews (now the host of the political talk show Hardball), saying that Frank “may be coming out of the room.”
“Aides had to explain to O’Neill that in fact Frank was coming out of the closet,” the Post reports. Frank came out the following year.
Frank shares other stories about coming out privately to colleagues in the years before he made his public announcement; in one incident, he had to explain why he didn’t show much interest in a woman who was his arranged date for New Year’s Eve.
Frank, a Massachusetts Democrat who is retiring after 30 years in Congress, also has some advice for other gay politicians — to come out if they’re ready, “because your ability to live as an integrated human person is more important than anything.” But don’t get “pigeonholed as a one-issue candidate,” he adds.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Fitness A Workout Especially for HIV-Positive People 4 min 18 sec ago
- Music Austra's Summer Soundtrack 17 min 47 sec ago
- Books James Franco's A California Childhood: Win Signed Copy 24 min 15 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Cher Wigs Out on The Voice 54 min 23 sec ago
- Entertainment News CA Town Hoists And Promptly Removes Gay Pride Flag 2 hours 1 min ago
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM