WATCH: Gay Pol Features Husband in Charming Campaign Ad
BY Daniel Reynolds
June 13 2014 1:11 PM ET
A gay candidate for mayor of Providence, R.I., may have released the best campaign ad this year.
Brett Smiley, a progressive Democrat, released an ad titled “Man With a Plan,” which illustrates how, from childhood to adulthood, Smiley has taken the initiative in getting things done.
From brokering recess deals with administrators in fifth grade to proposing to his partner through a PowerPoint presentation, Smiley demonstrates how being gay is not only a nonissue — it is also an asset that will make him a better leader.
“Brett is the most organized person I’ve ever met,” says Jim DeRentis, Smiley’s husband, who is featured prominently in the ad. The video even features a re-creation of Smiley on one knee, proposing to DeRentis through a PowerPoint graph that reads “Brett’s plan for happily ever after.”
Watch the adorable political ad below.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- WATCH: Straight Vlogger Slams Same-Sex Marriage Opponents
- Where Are 1.5 Million Missing Black Men?
- Here's How You Can Celebrate Trans Pride on Facebook, Too!
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality