WATCH: Gay Pol Features Husband in Charming Campaign Ad
BY Daniel Reynolds
June 13 2014 1:11 PM ET
A gay candidate for mayor of Providence, R.I., may have released the best campaign ad this year.
Brett Smiley, a progressive Democrat, released an ad titled “Man With a Plan,” which illustrates how, from childhood to adulthood, Smiley has taken the initiative in getting things done.
From brokering recess deals with administrators in fifth grade to proposing to his partner through a PowerPoint presentation, Smiley demonstrates how being gay is not only a nonissue — it is also an asset that will make him a better leader.
“Brett is the most organized person I’ve ever met,” says Jim DeRentis, Smiley’s husband, who is featured prominently in the ad. The video even features a re-creation of Smiley on one knee, proposing to DeRentis through a PowerPoint graph that reads “Brett’s plan for happily ever after.”
Watch the adorable political ad below.
- Trayvon Martin Killer George Zimmerman Proves He's a Racist Homophobe
- WATCH: John Oliver Explains the Equality Act
- WATCH: Donald Trump Still Can't Explain His Marriage Equality Opposition
- WATCH: Kentucky Clerk Defies Court Again, Turns Away Same-Sex Couple a Third Time
- TBT: Mid-Century Dreamboats
- We Made Lily Tomlin Cry