WATCH: Gay Pol Features Husband in Charming Campaign Ad
BY Daniel Reynolds
June 13 2014 1:11 PM ET
A gay candidate for mayor of Providence, R.I., may have released the best campaign ad this year.
Brett Smiley, a progressive Democrat, released an ad titled “Man With a Plan,” which illustrates how, from childhood to adulthood, Smiley has taken the initiative in getting things done.
From brokering recess deals with administrators in fifth grade to proposing to his partner through a PowerPoint presentation, Smiley demonstrates how being gay is not only a nonissue — it is also an asset that will make him a better leader.
“Brett is the most organized person I’ve ever met,” says Jim DeRentis, Smiley’s husband, who is featured prominently in the ad. The video even features a re-creation of Smiley on one knee, proposing to DeRentis through a PowerPoint graph that reads “Brett’s plan for happily ever after.”
Watch the adorable political ad below.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- 'God's Not Afraid of New Things,' Pope Tells Antigay Bishops
- Artist Spotlight: Boots Bryant
- Amid Marriage Victories, Antigay Lawyer Grows Increasingly Desparate
- Working with Laverne Cox, Standing in Solidarity with Trans Women of Color
- Gay Movies, Music, Theater, Celebrities | Arts & Entertainment