WATCH: Gay Pol Features Husband in Charming Campaign Ad
BY Daniel Reynolds
June 13 2014 1:11 PM ET
A gay candidate for mayor of Providence, R.I., may have released the best campaign ad this year.
Brett Smiley, a progressive Democrat, released an ad titled “Man With a Plan,” which illustrates how, from childhood to adulthood, Smiley has taken the initiative in getting things done.
From brokering recess deals with administrators in fifth grade to proposing to his partner through a PowerPoint presentation, Smiley demonstrates how being gay is not only a nonissue — it is also an asset that will make him a better leader.
“Brett is the most organized person I’ve ever met,” says Jim DeRentis, Smiley’s husband, who is featured prominently in the ad. The video even features a re-creation of Smiley on one knee, proposing to DeRentis through a PowerPoint graph that reads “Brett’s plan for happily ever after.”
Watch the adorable political ad below.
- Hot Sheet: They Are Risen
- Artist Spotlight: Kent Monkman
- Couple Indicted Over Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- Love Is Strange: A Love Story for Our Times
- Michelle Duggar Gets Verdict In Her Quest Against LGBT Ordinance in Ark.
- Op-ed: In Mass. Politics, Love Now Dares to Speak Its Name