2010? 2012? The Fight in California Continues
BY Amita Parashar
July 26 2009 11:00 PM ET
Despite a weekend summit that brought together more than 150 marriage equality activists, consensus over the timing of an attempt to repeal California's Proposition 8 at the voting booth remains elusive. But that hasn't stopped some gay groups from preparing for the earlier option.
Reactions to the heated LGBT Leadership Summit, organized by Marriage Equality USA and held in a San Bernardino, Calif., church, ranged from "pretty good" to "utter failure." A straw poll conducted at the end of the summit favored a 2010 ballot initiative 93-49.
In preparation for the summit, Marriage Equality USA held 40 town hall meetings in June and July across California to gauge public opinion on a ballot initiative timetable. Participants at meetings in West Hollywood and Bakersfield overwhelmingly favored 2010, while Oakland, Palm Springs, and others preferred 2012.
Regardless, Love Honor Cherish, a grassroots organization founded last year prior to the passage of Prop. 8, will hold a meeting next month with other groups supportive of a 2010 initiative. The session will allow the groups to organize their signature-gathering effort, which will begin in November, said John Henning, Love Honor Cherish's executive director.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Why God Loves Uganda Should Win That Oscar
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 2 hours 40 min ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM