Justice Kennedy Shuts Down Prop. 8 Backers
BY Neal Broverman
June 30 2013 2:27 PM ET
Although he didn't vote with the majority that tossed out Prop. 8 on a technicality, Justice Anthony Kennedy declined an emergency petition from antigay activists desperate to stop same-sex marriages in California.
Proposition 8 proponents filed a petition to stop the weddings, saying the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals was wrong to allow them to take place just days after the SCOTUS decision, instead of a typical 25-day waiting period; couples have already married up and down California. The antigay groups say they wanted the time to file more grievances against the decision.
Kennedy said no to the request without providing additional comments.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6