Justice Kennedy Shuts Down Prop. 8 Backers
BY Neal Broverman
June 30 2013 2:27 PM ET
Although he didn't vote with the majority that tossed out Prop. 8 on a technicality, Justice Anthony Kennedy declined an emergency petition from antigay activists desperate to stop same-sex marriages in California.
Proposition 8 proponents filed a petition to stop the weddings, saying the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals was wrong to allow them to take place just days after the SCOTUS decision, instead of a typical 25-day waiting period; couples have already married up and down California. The antigay groups say they wanted the time to file more grievances against the decision.
Kennedy said no to the request without providing additional comments.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM