Justice Kennedy Shuts Down Prop. 8 Backers
BY Neal Broverman
June 30 2013 2:27 PM ET
Although he didn't vote with the majority that tossed out Prop. 8 on a technicality, Justice Anthony Kennedy declined an emergency petition from antigay activists desperate to stop same-sex marriages in California.
Prop. 8 proponents filed a petition to stop the weddings, saying the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals was wrong to allow them to take place just days after the SCOTUS decision, instead of a typical 25-day waiting period; couples have already married up and down California. The antigay groups say they wanted the time to file more grievances against the decision.
Kennedy said no to the request without providing additional comments.
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse December 06 2013 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen December 06 2013 4:07 PM