Diocese's Oops on Email Shows Real Reason It Refuses to Sell to Gay Couple
BY Lucas Grindley
July 26 2012 1:40 PM ET
Email can be tricky, as one Catholic Diocese in Massachusetts is learning.
The diocese was apparently trying to come up with some legal reason it refuses to sell a 44-bedroom mansion in Worcester to a gay couple who wanted to renovate it. But the back-and-forth over email was still appended to the bottom of the bogus explanation that eventually made its way to the couple, according to Worcester Telegram columnist Dianne Williamson.
"If you're going to discriminate, you should cover your tracks," Williamson wrote in jest in a column today, noting that what actually unfolded could be illegal.
A real estate broker for the diocese said in an email she sent to the couple, James Fairbanks and Alain Beret, that it had suddenly found "other plans" for the property.
But at the bottom of the email was this note from Monsignor Thomas Sullivan:
“I just went down the hall and discussed it with the bishop,” Sullivan wrote to the broker, according to the Telegram. “Because of the potentiality of gay marriages there, something you shared with us yesterday, we are not interested in going forward with these buyers. I think they're shaky anyway. So, just tell them that we will not accept their revised plan and the Diocese is making new plans for the property. You find the language.”
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 4 min 12 sec ago
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 36 min 26 sec ago
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 2 hours 19 min ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 2 hours 42 min ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 2 hours 50 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 3:39 PM
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 3:31 PM