Diocese's Oops on Email Shows Real Reason It Refuses to Sell to Gay Couple
BY Lucas Grindley
July 26 2012 2:40 PM ET
Email can be tricky, as one Catholic Diocese in Massachusetts is learning.
The diocese was apparently trying to come up with some legal reason it refuses to sell a 44-bedroom mansion in Worcester to a gay couple who wanted to renovate it. But the back-and-forth over email was still appended to the bottom of the bogus explanation that eventually made its way to the couple, according to Worcester Telegram columnist Dianne Williamson.
"If you're going to discriminate, you should cover your tracks," Williamson wrote in jest in a column today, noting that what actually unfolded could be illegal.
A real estate broker for the diocese said in an email she sent to the couple, James Fairbanks and Alain Beret, that it had suddenly found "other plans" for the property.
But at the bottom of the email was this note from Monsignor Thomas Sullivan:
“I just went down the hall and discussed it with the bishop,” Sullivan wrote to the broker, according to the Telegram. “Because of the potentiality of gay marriages there, something you shared with us yesterday, we are not interested in going forward with these buyers. I think they're shaky anyway. So, just tell them that we will not accept their revised plan and the Diocese is making new plans for the property. You find the language.”
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- These Gay Teen Lovers Are Nothing But Trash
- Media Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview 2 min 25 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Game Developers Conference Tackles LGBT Representation in Video Games 5 min 46 sec ago
- Politics Meet the 21-Year-Old Gay Republican Running for Idaho Legislature 32 min 29 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Who Wants to See More of The Fosters' Teri Polo in Her Cop Uniform? 34 min 50 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: Jeffrey: The Series Episode 8, 'Merchandise' 46 min 21 sec ago
- Uganda U.S. Suspends Health Aid to Uganda Over 'Jail the Gays' Law 52 min 9 sec ago
- Travel Polaroid Museum Opening at Vegas' LINQ 1 hour 1 min ago