WATCH: Missouri Minister Gives Gay Rights Speech With a Twist
BY Trudy Ring
October 20 2012 5:49 PM ET
When the Springfield, Mo., City Council was considering an LGBT rights ordinance this summer, the Reverend Phil Snider of the Brentwood Christian Church delivered a surprising message to council members.
Saying he was speaking in favor of the ordinance, he began to give what appeared to be homophobic arguments against it, saying “special rights for gays and lesbians” was an action of “immorality and lawlessness” that would bring “the judgment of God upon our land.” Then, about two minutes into his statement, there is a stunning twist.
Snider made his statement to the council in August, shortly before the members decided to table the ordinance and have a task force study it, but the video has just recently been getting renewed attention online. Watch below — and stay until the end. And you can check out Snider’s thoughts on the reaction to his talk at his blog.
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Op-ed: The Policies Keeping Trans People From Military Service
- Music LISTEN: Lady Gaga's 'Brooklyn Nights' Leaked 40 min 7 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: He's Positive, I'm Not — How Do We Deal? 54 min 3 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: What Is a Serodiscordant Couple? 55 min 2 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 TV Stars Who Are HIV Activists 56 min 52 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Emmy Winner Leslie Jordan: 'I’m Too Young & Fancy to Pay for This Sex!' 1 hour 22 min ago
- Media Murdoch Urges Boycott of Pro-Equality Guinness 1 hour 23 min ago
- Television Exclusive Clip: The Idols Sing on RuPaul's Drag Race Tonight 2 hours 24 min ago