WATCH: Missouri Minister Gives Gay Rights Speech With a Twist
BY Trudy Ring
October 20 2012 5:49 PM ET
When the Springfield, Mo., City Council was considering an LGBT rights ordinance this summer, the Reverend Phil Snider of the Brentwood Christian Church delivered a surprising message to council members.
Saying he was speaking in favor of the ordinance, he began to give what appeared to be homophobic arguments against it, saying “special rights for gays and lesbians” was an action of “immorality and lawlessness” that would bring “the judgment of God upon our land.” Then, about two minutes into his statement, there is a stunning twist.
Snider made his statement to the council in August, shortly before the members decided to table the ordinance and have a task force study it, but the video has just recently been getting renewed attention online. Watch below — and stay until the end. And you can check out Snider’s thoughts on the reaction to his talk at his blog.
- WATCH: Dodger Stadium Reacts to Same-Sex Couple on Kiss Cam
- Newly Out Fox Contributor Isn't Very Concerned About Gay Rights
- Out NYC Owners Call Gays 'Cheap,' 'Entitled' In Disastrous Interview
- Could National Marriage Equality Mean the End of Gay Culture?
- 9 Celebs Who Learned the Hard Way the T-Word Is Over
- WATCH: Can the GOP Presidential Field Get Any More Antigay?