Group Petitions Christian Magazine to Accept Pro-Equality Ad
BY Trudy Ring
November 02 2012 3:00 PM ET
Faith in America, a pro-LGBT religious organization, is petitioning Christianity Today magazine to accept its ad encouraging parents to accept their LGBT children.
Christianity Today, a generally conservative publication, rejected the ad two weeks ago, Faith in America officials say on Change.org, where the petition is posted. The text of the ad says, “Do you have a child who is gay or lesbian? Do you fully embrace that child just as they are? Christ does. Faith and equality. Let’s end the harm from the misuse of religious teaching.” It is illustrated by the image of a cross filled with faces.
Faith in America notes that in its September issue, Christianity Today ran a full-page ad from the antigay group Alliance Defending Freedom, “an organization whose president, Alan Sears, in a July 2012 article referred to messages of gay acceptance and inclusion as ‘insidious inroads in the minds and souls of children.’”
The petition says, “If Christianity Today approves ads from organizations like Alliance Defending Freedom that promote stigma and hostility toward gay and lesbian individuals, surely it can accept an ad which promotes the ideal that faith and equality are not — and should not be — in conflict with each other.” Find the petition here.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 1 hour 7 min ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 2 hours 45 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 2 hours 49 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM