Group Petitions Christian Magazine to Accept Pro-Equality Ad
BY Trudy Ring
November 02 2012 2:00 PM ET
Faith in America, a pro-LGBT religious organization, is petitioning Christianity Today magazine to accept its ad encouraging parents to accept their LGBT children.
Christianity Today, a generally conservative publication, rejected the ad two weeks ago, Faith in America officials say on Change.org, where the petition is posted. The text of the ad says, “Do you have a child who is gay or lesbian? Do you fully embrace that child just as they are? Christ does. Faith and equality. Let’s end the harm from the misuse of religious teaching.” It is illustrated by the image of a cross filled with faces.
Faith in America notes that in its September issue, Christianity Today ran a full-page ad from the antigay group Alliance Defending Freedom, “an organization whose president, Alan Sears, in a July 2012 article referred to messages of gay acceptance and inclusion as ‘insidious inroads in the minds and souls of children.’”
The petition says, “If Christianity Today approves ads from organizations like Alliance Defending Freedom that promote stigma and hostility toward gay and lesbian individuals, surely it can accept an ad which promotes the ideal that faith and equality are not — and should not be — in conflict with each other.” Find the petition here.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Game of Thrones Video Game Announced
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 27 min 40 sec ago
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 1 hour 28 min ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM