Group Petitions Christian Magazine to Accept Pro-Equality Ad
BY Trudy Ring
November 02 2012 3:00 PM ET
Faith in America, a pro-LGBT religious organization, is petitioning Christianity Today magazine to accept its ad encouraging parents to accept their LGBT children.
Christianity Today, a generally conservative publication, rejected the ad two weeks ago, Faith in America officials say on Change.org, where the petition is posted. The text of the ad says, “Do you have a child who is gay or lesbian? Do you fully embrace that child just as they are? Christ does. Faith and equality. Let’s end the harm from the misuse of religious teaching.” It is illustrated by the image of a cross filled with faces.
Faith in America notes that in its September issue, Christianity Today ran a full-page ad from the antigay group Alliance Defending Freedom, “an organization whose president, Alan Sears, in a July 2012 article referred to messages of gay acceptance and inclusion as ‘insidious inroads in the minds and souls of children.’”
The petition says, “If Christianity Today approves ads from organizations like Alliance Defending Freedom that promote stigma and hostility toward gay and lesbian individuals, surely it can accept an ad which promotes the ideal that faith and equality are not — and should not be — in conflict with each other.” Find the petition here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM