Gay Man Named First to Lead Reconstructionist Rabbis
BY Michelle Garcia
March 12 2013 12:25 PM ET
A gay rabbi has been chosen to lead the Reconstructionist movement's rabbinic association, making him the first openly gay man to lead a national rabbinic association in America.
Rabbi Jason Klein was elected to lead the Reconstructionist Rabbinical Association during the organization's meeting in New Orleans. No other rabbinic associations in the U.S. have been headed by openly gay people, the Jewish Daily Forward reports, though Reconstructionist and Reform seminaries have previously ordained gay rabbis.
Klein is a Hillel rabbi at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County.
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Ready and Looking: The Dilemma of a 20-Something
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM