Gay Man Named First to Lead Reconstructionist Rabbis
BY Michelle Garcia
March 12 2013 12:25 PM ET
A gay rabbi has been chosen to lead the Reconstructionist movement's rabbinic association, making him the first openly gay man to lead a national rabbinic association in America.
Rabbi Jason Klein was elected to lead the Reconstructionist Rabbinical Association during the organization's meeting in New Orleans. No other rabbinic associations in the U.S. have been headed by openly gay people, the Jewish Daily Forward reports, though Reconstructionist and Reform seminaries have previously ordained gay rabbis.
Klein is a Hillel rabbi at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County.
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- WATCH: In Pat Robertson's Latest Diatribe, Gays Are 'Terrorists'
- That's Amoré! 11 Irresistible Images of What Happened When Rome Recognized Same-Sex Marriages
- Idaho Gov. Begs Court to Reverse 'Bad Law' of Marriage Equality
- In Their Own Words: Men of Color Explain Why They Take PrEP