Gay Man Named First to Lead Reconstructionist Rabbis
BY Michelle Garcia
March 12 2013 12:25 PM ET
A gay rabbi has been chosen to lead the Reconstructionist movement's rabbinic association, making him the first openly gay man to lead a national rabbinic association in America.
Rabbi Jason Klein was elected to lead the Reconstructionist Rabbinical Association during the organization's meeting in New Orleans. No other rabbinic associations in the U.S. have been headed by openly gay people, the Jewish Daily Forward reports, though Reconstructionist and Reform seminaries have previously ordained gay rabbis.
Klein is a Hillel rabbi at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County.
- Duggar Show Pulled From TLC Schedule, Could Be Canceled
- New Orleans Mayor Counters Jindal's Order With One of Acceptance for All
- 25 Unforgettable Gay TV Kisses
- 18 Camp Classic Musicals That Make Us Sing
- #TBT: The Battle for the Bulge
- WATCH: Oregon Gov. Emotionally Signs Conversion Therapy Ban Into Law