WATCH: Antibias Laws Biased Against Christians, Says Right-Wing Group
BY Trudy Ring
January 24 2014 4:50 PM ET
Right-wing groups are continuing to trot out the tired and erroneous argument that laws protecting LGBT people against discrimination are actually discriminatory toward Christians. The latest case in point: a video from CitizenLink, Focus on the Family’s political action affiliate, objecting to the discrimination claim against an Oregon bakery whose owners refused to provide a cake for a same-sex wedding.
“The Christian owners said they could not use their artistic ability to make a one-of-a-kind cake to celebrate something they do not support,” Stuart Shepard, CitizenLink’s senior director of media, says in the video. “The state pointed to the civil rights law that was amended a few years ago to include orientation and said the Christians lose. … The Oregon civil rights law also lists religion as a protected class, but activists are leveraging those laws to push Christians right out of business. When it’s a tie, the Christians lose.”
CitizenLink is making “a false comparison,” ThinkProgress points out. As the watchdog site explains, “Oregon’s law applies only in specific contexts, such as employment, housing, and public accommodations — the latter being the relevant one to the bakery. A public store-front business is a public accommodation, and so it is illegal to provide wedding cakes to straight couples and not to gay couples. Similarly, it would be illegal to provide wedding cakes to Jewish couples and not Christian couples, and in such a case, the Christian couple would be protected by the same law. Therefore, both classes are protected equally.”
“What organizations like Focus on the Family actually seem to want is not a game where the rules are fair, but one in which they always get their way,” ThinkProgress concludes. Watch the video below.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 23 min 39 sec ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM