D,C, Breaks Ground With Transgender Campaign
BY Trudy Ring
August 03 2012 8:25 PM ET
The District of Columbia Office of Human Rights is launching a campaign to combat antitransgender discrimination, the first government-funded one in the nation, the Washington Blade reports.
The agency will place five different ads, featuring trans men and women as well as a self-identified “genderqueer” person, in various parts of the city this fall. They will highlight the need for respect for all people and the fact that antitransgender discrimination is illegal in D.C., and encourage anyone who experiences discrimination to contact the agency.
“I’m very happy that they are actually doing some preventive education things,” transgender activist Ruby Corado told the Blade. “This city really needs a lot of understanding and the city really needs a lot of education, so having something like this … is really exciting.”
Several LGBT and transgender-specific rights groups worked with the Office of Human Rights to develop the campaign, and various groups continue to work toward reducing the number of hate crimes in the city. There have been numerous crimes against transgender people in Washington in the past few months.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 6:15 PM