New Benetton Campaign Features Transgender Model
BY Trudy Ring
January 25 2013 3:01 PM ET
Transgender model Lea T is featured in United Colors of Benetton’s spring-summer ad campaign, which spotlights people who have “incredible personal stories.”
“The route they followed in order to get [to fashion success] was a very unusual route, a different route,” company chairman Alessandro Benetton told reporters in Paris Wednesday, The Daily Beast reports. “It is perhaps one of the most ‘Benetton’ campaigns, productwise, that we have ever done.”
In addition to Lea T, a Brazilian transgender woman whose father was a soccer star, those in the campaign include Alek Wek, a war refugee from Sudan; German model Mario Galla, who has a prosthetic leg; Elettra Wiedemann, the daughter of Isabella Rossellini and granddaughter of Ingrid Bergman; Kiera Chaplin, granddaughter of Charlie Chaplin and great-granddaughter of playwright Eugene O’Neill; and several others. They were photographed by Giulio Rustichelli.
“The playful campaign and motley cast are a clear pitch to renew relations with younger consumers, a market key to Benetton’s success during its heyday, when Oliviero Toscani was churning out shocking, and ultimately iconic, campaigns for the brand in the 1980s and 1990s that included a nun kissing a priest, death-row inmates, and AIDS patients,” The Daily Beast notes.
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 51 min 52 sec ago
- Travel Berlin's Best Neighborhoods: A Primer 56 min 57 sec ago
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 1 hour 43 min ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 1 hour 49 min ago
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 7:04 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM