New Benetton Campaign Features Transgender Model
BY Trudy Ring
January 25 2013 4:01 PM ET
Transgender model Lea T is featured in United Colors of Benetton’s spring-summer ad campaign, which spotlights people who have “incredible personal stories.”
“The route they followed in order to get [to fashion success] was a very unusual route, a different route,” company chairman Alessandro Benetton told reporters in Paris Wednesday, The Daily Beast reports. “It is perhaps one of the most ‘Benetton’ campaigns, productwise, that we have ever done.”
In addition to Lea T, a Brazilian transgender woman whose father was a soccer star, those in the campaign include Alek Wek, a war refugee from Sudan; German model Mario Galla, who has a prosthetic leg; Elettra Wiedemann, the daughter of Isabella Rossellini and granddaughter of Ingrid Bergman; Kiera Chaplin, granddaughter of Charlie Chaplin and great-granddaughter of playwright Eugene O’Neill; and several others. They were photographed by Giulio Rustichelli.
“The playful campaign and motley cast are a clear pitch to renew relations with younger consumers, a market key to Benetton’s success during its heyday, when Oliviero Toscani was churning out shocking, and ultimately iconic, campaigns for the brand in the 1980s and 1990s that included a nun kissing a priest, death-row inmates, and AIDS patients,” The Daily Beast notes.
- UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
- Protests Continue But Opponents in France Get Final Loss
- Rising Above the Down Low
- Florist Counter-Sues Washington, Arguing She Has a Right to Discriminate
- WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM