New Benetton Campaign Features Transgender Model
BY Trudy Ring
January 25 2013 4:01 PM ET
Transgender model Lea T is featured in United Colors of Benetton’s spring-summer ad campaign, which spotlights people who have “incredible personal stories.”
“The route they followed in order to get [to fashion success] was a very unusual route, a different route,” company chairman Alessandro Benetton told reporters in Paris Wednesday, The Daily Beast reports. “It is perhaps one of the most ‘Benetton’ campaigns, productwise, that we have ever done.”
In addition to Lea T, a Brazilian transgender woman whose father was a soccer star, those in the campaign include Alek Wek, a war refugee from Sudan; German model Mario Galla, who has a prosthetic leg; Elettra Wiedemann, the daughter of Isabella Rossellini and granddaughter of Ingrid Bergman; Kiera Chaplin, granddaughter of Charlie Chaplin and great-granddaughter of playwright Eugene O’Neill; and several others. They were photographed by Giulio Rustichelli.
“The playful campaign and motley cast are a clear pitch to renew relations with younger consumers, a market key to Benetton’s success during its heyday, when Oliviero Toscani was churning out shocking, and ultimately iconic, campaigns for the brand in the 1980s and 1990s that included a nun kissing a priest, death-row inmates, and AIDS patients,” The Daily Beast notes.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
- WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out, Cops Offer Reward
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Florida Group Aims to Build Marriage Equality Support 51 min 5 sec ago
- Women WATCH: The L Word's Kate Moennig in Ray Donovan Series Premiere 54 min 29 sec ago
- Crime Man Pleads Not Guilty to West Village Murder 1 hour 3 min ago
- Crime WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out 1 hour 17 min ago
- Politics This Man Wants to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu' 1 hour 32 min ago
- Music WATCH: 'Guess What?' Cazwell's New Video Is Hot! 1 hour 39 min ago
- Entertainment News Watch: Fox News' Most Anti-Trans Comments 1 hour 39 min ago