Protest Erupts After Trans Woman Dies in Berkeley Police Custody
BY Neal Broverman
March 14 2013 5:25 PM ET
Angry protesters marched from People's Park in Berkeley, Calif., to the downtown police station Wednesday to voice anger at the death of Kayla Moore, a transgender woman who died in police custody.
At the station, approximately 70 protesters met with police in riot gear. The gathering remained peaceful even with some calling for "Vengeance for Kayla Moore." No arrests were made.
Before Moore's death, police were called to a residence with reports of a disturbance. According to police records, Moore screamed and resisted arrest; she later died in custody. An official cause of death for Moore has not yet been released by the Alameda County Coroner’s Office. The Police Review Commission will discuss the woman's death at a meeting next Wednesday. Read more here.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: Anti-Marriage Equality Arguments Are Only Getting Dumber
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 22 min 27 sec ago
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM