Pa. School Board: Trans Student Can't Run for Homecoming King
BY Trudy Ring
September 24 2013 8:05 PM ET
A Pennsylvania school board has let stand the decision of high school administrators not to let a transgender teen run for homecoming king.
Last week administrators at Richland High School in Johnstown, Pa., told senior Kasey Caron they would take no action on his request to be listed on the male side of the ballot for homecoming royalty. Caron was assigned as female at birth but not identifies and presents as male, and his driver’s license lists him as male too. School board members, in their meeting Monday night, deferred to the administrators’ decision, reports Philadelphia TV station WCAU.
“I was again disappointed by the board,” Caron told the station. “By not making a decision, they’re sweeping this problem under the rug.” He said he realizes the race for homecoming royalty is merely a popularity contest, explaining, “The reason I fought this so hard, is for the simple fact that it’s my right to run for king as much as it is anyone else’s. It shouldn’t even really be a fight.” He was hoping to set a precedent for other transgender students, he said. If elected homecoming queen, he “will just have to make the best of it,” he added. The Transgender Law Center has posted a petition on Change.org calling for Caron to be allowed to run for homecoming king.
Board members said they would discuss the matter at a future meeting but did not say when. The next regular board meeting is October 7, two days after the homecoming game.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM