Pa. School Board: Trans Student Can't Run for Homecoming King
BY Trudy Ring
September 24 2013 9:05 PM ET
A Pennsylvania school board has let stand the decision of high school administrators not to let a transgender teen run for homecoming king.
Last week administrators at Richland High School in Johnstown, Pa., told senior Kasey Caron they would take no action on his request to be listed on the male side of the ballot for homecoming royalty. Caron was assigned as female at birth but not identifies and presents as male, and his driver’s license lists him as male too. School board members, in their meeting Monday night, deferred to the administrators’ decision, reports Philadelphia TV station WCAU.
“I was again disappointed by the board,” Caron told the station. “By not making a decision, they’re sweeping this problem under the rug.” He said he realizes the race for homecoming royalty is merely a popularity contest, explaining, “The reason I fought this so hard, is for the simple fact that it’s my right to run for king as much as it is anyone else’s. It shouldn’t even really be a fight.” He was hoping to set a precedent for other transgender students, he said. If elected homecoming queen, he “will just have to make the best of it,” he added. The Transgender Law Center has posted a petition on Change.org calling for Caron to be allowed to run for homecoming king.
Board members said they would discuss the matter at a future meeting but did not say when. The next regular board meeting is October 7, two days after the homecoming game.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM