Pa. School Board: Trans Student Can't Run for Homecoming King
BY Trudy Ring
September 24 2013 9:05 PM ET
A Pennsylvania school board has let stand the decision of high school administrators not to let a transgender teen run for homecoming king.
Last week administrators at Richland High School in Johnstown, Pa., told senior Kasey Caron they would take no action on his request to be listed on the male side of the ballot for homecoming royalty. Caron was assigned as female at birth but not identifies and presents as male, and his driver’s license lists him as male too. School board members, in their meeting Monday night, deferred to the administrators’ decision, reports Philadelphia TV station WCAU.
“I was again disappointed by the board,” Caron told the station. “By not making a decision, they’re sweeping this problem under the rug.” He said he realizes the race for homecoming royalty is merely a popularity contest, explaining, “The reason I fought this so hard, is for the simple fact that it’s my right to run for king as much as it is anyone else’s. It shouldn’t even really be a fight.” He was hoping to set a precedent for other transgender students, he said. If elected homecoming queen, he “will just have to make the best of it,” he added. The Transgender Law Center has posted a petition on Change.org calling for Caron to be allowed to run for homecoming king.
Board members said they would discuss the matter at a future meeting but did not say when. The next regular board meeting is October 7, two days after the homecoming game.
- Politics S.C. House Approves Budget Cuts to Colleges With LGBT Curricula 8 min 17 sec ago
- Travel Brooklyn-Bound Girls Bus Tour Being Floated 34 min 47 sec ago
- Sports Jason Collins Will Remain With Brooklyn Nets 42 min 2 sec ago
- Theater Adam Shankman to Helm Hair at Hollywood Bowl 48 min 46 sec ago
- Women Out Musician Soko On Being a Part of 'First Kiss' Viral Video 53 min 47 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 1 hour 46 min ago
- Sports Brooklyn Nets Stick with Jason Collins 1 hour 54 min ago