WATCH: Pat Robertson Likens Transgender People to Geldings
BY Daniel Reynolds
October 09 2013 7:10 PM ET
Pat Robertson expressed both outrage and ignorance on transgender rights issues in his response to a new law that protects transgender students in California.
The antigay televangelist compared a transgender person to his "big and beautiful" stallion that had been castrated.
"Now, we talk about transgender. I have a former stallion who is now a gelding, because stallions get very aggressive," Robertson said on a 700 Club segment Tuesday. "But he wasn’t trying to be a girl. We just made him into a less aggressive male."
Reacting to the passage of AB 1266, which ensures California transgender students access to the public school activities and facilities, like restrooms and locker rooms, that correspond to their gender identity, Robertson also railed against the influence of LGBT people in the spheres of politics and law.
"It’s a tiny fringe, but they seem to have control of the levers of power in the media and especially in Hollywood," he said. "But it’s insane. I just cannot believe that the normal people in America, the people who want to just live their lives can’t be allowed to do it without having this stuff imposed on them constantly."
Republican leaders also announced their opposition to the law this week.
Watch the video below.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- Bryan Cranston: 'End This Silliness' of Opposing Marriage Equality
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Michigan Trans Teen Skater's Suicide Rocks Roller Derby Community
- Artist Spotlight: Chris von Steiner