Right-Wing Group: Presence of Trans Student in Girls' Restroom Is 'Harassment'
BY Trudy Ring
October 18 2013 7:20 PM ET
An anti-LGBT group has essentially admitted that reports of a transgender student was harassing others at a Colorado school were fabricated, saying the mere presence of the student in the girls’ restroom constituted harassment.
The Pacific Justice Institute, which works against LGBT rights, issued a statement this week to transgender rights group TransAdvocate, saying in part, “It is our position that the intrusion of a biological male into a restroom for teenage girls is inherently intimidating and harassing.”
Several right-wing news outlets had picked up the story, but administrators at Florence High School said no incidents of harassment had been reported — one parent had merely brought up their fears of harassment to school officials and the media.
- Artist Spotlight: Carlos Barahona Possollo
- Op-ed: Male Gays and the Male Gaze
- A Best-Case, Worst-Case Look at the Supreme Court's Options
- Op-ed: 6 Lessons a Straight Couple Learned From Owning a Gay Bar
- Alabama Marriage Equality on Two-Week Hold
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Skewers Bobby Jindal Prayer Rally