Funeral for Murdered Trans Woman Held at 'Pope's Church'
BY Lucas Grindley
December 31 2013 2:23 PM ET
A trans woman whose family never memorialized their daughter was given a funeral last week at Pope Francis's church, according to the National Catholic Reporter.
Andrea Quintero, 28, had told the Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera in a recent interview that she fled persecution in Colombia for a better life in Italy, but she ended up living on the streets. Previous beatings had left one arm paralyzed and she walked with a limp.
Then in July her body was found alongside railroad tracks, having been beaten to death. Her murderer has not been caught.
Until now, no funeral was held because the family gave no orders. NCR reports that the Church of the Gesu in Rome — which is considered "the mother church of the pope’s Jesuit order" — worked with a Jesuit-run charity, Centro Astalli, to hold a proper funeral on Friday.
Centro Astalli's director, Father Giovanni La Manna, told Italian newspaper Il Messaggero that the funeral is "a signal to the entire community of Rome, which looks away from those who are discriminated against and who live their difficult lives against the indifference of our city."
Found via RawStory, watch video below of the Corriere della Sera interview. It's conducted in Italian but translation isn't needed to see what life was like just one week before Quintero's death:
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM