WATCH: Video of La. Trans Woman Calling Councilman's Bluff Goes Viral
BY Parker Marie Molloy
January 23 2014 1:37 PM ET
Last week a Louisiana TV station published video of Pamela Raintree, a trans woman in Shreveport, confronting City Councilman Ron Webb on his anti-LGBT rhetoric. In the days since, Raintree's challenge to the Bible-quoting councilman has gone viral, amassing hundreds of thousands of views worldwide.
"Leviticus 20:13 states, 'If a man also lie with mankind as he lieth with a woman, they shall surely put him to death'," Raintree began. "I brought the first stone, Mr. Webb, in case that your Bible talk isn't just a smoke screen for personal prejudices."
Stunned, Councilman Webb withdrew his proposed measure, which would have put repeal of the city's recently passed nondiscrimination ordinance up for a vote.
KMSS-TV Shreveport caught up with Raintree to find out what it's like to have become somewhat of an Internet sensation. Raintree answered modestly: "Somebody made a ridiculous comment, and I challenged him to stand behind it."
Some have even asked her to run for City Council, though she generally brushed off those suggestions. Raintree said she'd rather keep her focus on her activism, which is currently centered on helping homeless residents of Shreveport. "I have been homeless myself," Raintree told KMSS. "And so I have some interest in getting people off the street and giving them the tools to become productive, successful citizens."
Watch KMSS's follow-up report below.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 16 min 47 sec ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 2 hours 16 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM