Trans Comedian Avery Edison Detained in Canada
BY Parker Marie Molloy
February 11 2014 12:11 PM ET
Transgender comedian Avery Edison was detained by the Canada Border Services Agency at Toronto Pearson International Airport Monday after border agents detemined a student visa she held had lapsed. Edison, who lives in the United Kingdom, was planning to visit friends in Canada for three weeks.
Edison managed to live-tweet her experience, highlighting fears and struggles experienced by transgender travelers. As she stated over a series of tweets, she understands that she wasn't detained as a result of her transgender status, but rather, her trans status simply made her experience worse than it would have been had she not been transgender.
According to the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada, individuals may be detained if there are reasonable grounds to believe that the person is unlikely to appear for a hearing or is a danger to the public. Additionally, individuals may be detained if they have been deemed inadmissible for security reasons, or for violating human or international rights, serious criminality, or organized criminality.
Edison has a right to a detention review within 48 hours of being taken into custody, where she will either be released or held for seven additional days.
A complete transcript of Edison's tweets can be found on the next page.
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light March 06 2014 6:06 PM
- Film Jamie Lee Curtis Bringing Life of First Gay Baseball Player to Big Screen March 06 2014 5:48 PM
- Politics Here's Why Facebook Is Sponsoring Right-Wing CPAC March 06 2014 5:12 PM
- Media News Anchor on Russia's RT Network Quits Job on Air in Protest March 06 2014 4:34 PM