WATCH: 'Trans Rights Are Human Rights' Highlights Awareness
BY Parker Marie Molloy
March 03 2014 2:46 PM ET
Last week, the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS and the Asia Pacific Transgender Network released a video intended to raise awareness of the issues facing many transgender individuals, including access to housing and medical care, and highlighting the general discrimination many trans people face.
The video, titled, "Transgender Rights are Human Rights," was created to commemorate Zero Discrimination Day, which UNAIDS describes as "an opportunity to celebrate everyone's right to live a full and productive life with dignity."
The video highlights 21 transgender men and women from various regions of Asia and the Pacific, allowing each to tell a story of discrimination and state their hopes for a better future, free of discrimination.
Watch the video below:
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Partner of Sydney Siege Hero Remembers His 'Soulmate'
- Emily Blunt: 'I Want to Be a Gay Icon'