Equality Ohio Director Resigns After Arrest
BY Charles Hicks
June 22 2012 2:56 PM ET
Ed Mullen III, the director of Equality Ohio, resigned Wednesday after being charged with disorderly conduct and menacing, according to 10TV News. He has served as Equality Ohio's director since January 2011.
Mullen was arrested Saturday after being accused of threatening a man in Columbus while trespassing on the man's property. His relationship with the man is unknown.
Mullen spent Saturday night in jail, according to Back2Stonewall.com, and was released Sunday morning on his own recognizance pending his preliminary hearing next Thursday.
Since taking the reins of Equality Ohio, Mullen has overseen the coordination of the organization's three-year strategic plan, which provided structure and direction for the organization.
However, earlier this year, Mullen was the source of some controversy, according to Newsmax, due to his eventual decision not to endorse a state constitutional amendment that would repeal the state's same-sex marriage ban. This position differed from that of the Ohio Freedom to Marry coalition.
Equality Ohio released a statement Thursday in which it commended Mullen for his contributions to the organization. "Ed brought tremendous vitality and keen legal insights to our organization, stabilized our operations and financial support, and led the development of a nationally recognized strategic plan," it said.
The board also announced that it will be appointing an interim director "very soon" and begin a national search for a new director.
Equality Ohio was founded in 2005 to promote a positive perception of the Ohio LGBT population following the approval of the state's ban of same-sex marriage the year before.
Mullen's picture and bio have already been removed from the organization's website.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM