Equality Ohio Director Resigns After Arrest
BY Charles Hicks
June 22 2012 2:56 PM ET
Ed Mullen III, the director of Equality Ohio, resigned Wednesday after being charged with disorderly conduct and menacing, according to 10TV News. He has served as Equality Ohio's director since January 2011.
Mullen was arrested Saturday after being accused of threatening a man in Columbus while trespassing on the man's property. His relationship with the man is unknown.
Mullen spent Saturday night in jail, according to Back2Stonewall.com, and was released Sunday morning on his own recognizance pending his preliminary hearing next Thursday.
Since taking the reins of Equality Ohio, Mullen has overseen the coordination of the organization's three-year strategic plan, which provided structure and direction for the organization.
However, earlier this year, Mullen was the source of some controversy, according to Newsmax, due to his eventual decision not to endorse a state constitutional amendment that would repeal the state's same-sex marriage ban. This position differed from that of the Ohio Freedom to Marry coalition.
Equality Ohio released a statement Thursday in which it commended Mullen for his contributions to the organization. "Ed brought tremendous vitality and keen legal insights to our organization, stabilized our operations and financial support, and led the development of a nationally recognized strategic plan," it said.
The board also announced that it will be appointing an interim director "very soon" and begin a national search for a new director.
Equality Ohio was founded in 2005 to promote a positive perception of the Ohio LGBT population following the approval of the state's ban of same-sex marriage the year before.
Mullen's picture and bio have already been removed from the organization's website.
Tags: Arts & Entertainment
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 26 min 48 sec ago
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 29 min 53 sec ago
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 56 min 27 sec ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 59 min 2 sec ago
- Women Houston Lesbian Couple Found Murdered, Cops Searching for Suspect 1 hour 2 min ago
- Women WATCH: 10 Worst Ways to Pick Up a Lesbian 1 hour 4 min ago
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 2 hours 43 sec ago