Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer's Daughter Stephany Comes Out
BY Michelle Garcia
June 06 2012 5:07 PM ET
One of the daughters of Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer says she wanted to lend her name to the list of marriage equality supporters by publicly announcing that she is a lesbian.
Stephany Hoyer Hemmer, whose father Rep. Hoyer recently announced his own endorsement of marriage equality, says it was time to come out, especially as the fight to legalize marriage equality in Maryland ramps up. Hoyer told the Washington Blade that only close friends and family knew that she is a lesbian, but said it was time to speak up.
"The momentum in Maryland right now for the adoption of the gay marriage law is fast-paced," she said of her home state. "I’m 43 years of age, and I’ve been gay my whole life and I just figured this is a good time to lend my name to the cause."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: 'Not Looking' Episode 1
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Television WATCH: The First Trailer for HBO's Adaptation of The Normal Heart 46 min 5 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: 'Not Looking' Episode 1 51 min 25 sec ago
- Television Juliet Mills: Back to Nannying, With a Twist 1 hour 14 min ago
- Commentary What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto 1 hour 59 min ago
- Film Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity 7:00 AM
- Current Issue A Letter to My Partners 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 5:00 AM