Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer's Daughter Stephany Comes Out
BY Michelle Garcia
June 06 2012 4:07 PM ET
One of the daughters of Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer says she wanted to lend her name to the list of marriage equality supporters by publicly announcing that she is a lesbian.
Stephany Hoyer Hemmer, whose father Rep. Hoyer recently announced his own endorsement of marriage equality, says it was time to come out, especially as the fight to legalize marriage equality in Maryland ramps up. Hoyer told the Washington Blade that only close friends and family knew that she is a lesbian, but said it was time to speak up.
"The momentum in Maryland right now for the adoption of the gay marriage law is fast-paced," she said of her home state. "I’m 43 years of age, and I’ve been gay my whole life and I just figured this is a good time to lend my name to the cause."
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM