Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer's Daughter Stephany Comes Out
BY Michelle Garcia
June 06 2012 5:07 PM ET
One of the daughters of Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer says she wanted to lend her name to the list of marriage equality supporters by publicly announcing that she is a lesbian.
Stephany Hoyer Hemmer, whose father Rep. Hoyer recently announced his own endorsement of marriage equality, says it was time to come out, especially as the fight to legalize marriage equality in Maryland ramps up. Hoyer told the Washington Blade that only close friends and family knew that she is a lesbian, but said it was time to speak up.
"The momentum in Maryland right now for the adoption of the gay marriage law is fast-paced," she said of her home state. "I’m 43 years of age, and I’ve been gay my whole life and I just figured this is a good time to lend my name to the cause."
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- WATCH: Straight Dad Punched For Calling Out Woman's Antigay Slurs
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- t.A.T.u. Singer OK with Lesbians, But Being Gay Is 'Unmanly'
- Hot Sheet: Openly Serving, Openly Loving