H.S. Student Suspended for Antibullying Viral Video
BY Michelle Garcia
May 25 2012 3:11 PM ET
A high school student who was suspended for an antibullying video that went viral was told Thursday that she could return to classes.
Jessica Barba, 15, wrote, produced, and starred in a video about 12-year-old Hailey, a fictional character who was bullied so much that she became depressed and then committed suicide. She also created a Facebook page for her main character, used to illustrate cyber-bullying, as well as the character's own status messages that read "I hate myself" and "I wanna be dead," the New York Daily News reports.
A parent, not knowing that the message was fictional, notified police and school officials. The Facebook page, combined with the video caused such an uproar at Longwood High School in Middle Island, N.Y., that Barba was suspended for five days and the Facebook page was taken down.
Several students came out in support of Barba, and after her suspension hearing Thursday, school administrators lifted her suspension. The punishment will also be wiped from her records.
"I just created the video in order to raise awareness of the major issue that's bullying," she said on the Today show.
Her video is below:
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM