H.S. Student Suspended for Antibullying Viral Video
BY Michelle Garcia
May 25 2012 4:11 PM ET
A high school student who was suspended for an antibullying video that went viral was told Thursday that she could return to classes.
Jessica Barba, 15, wrote, produced, and starred in a video about 12-year-old Hailey, a fictional character who was bullied so much that she became depressed and then committed suicide. She also created a Facebook page for her main character, used to illustrate cyber-bullying, as well as the character's own status messages that read "I hate myself" and "I wanna be dead," the New York Daily News reports.
A parent, not knowing that the message was fictional, notified police and school officials. The Facebook page, combined with the video caused such an uproar at Longwood High School in Middle Island, N.Y., that Barba was suspended for five days and the Facebook page was taken down.
Several students came out in support of Barba, and after her suspension hearing Thursday, school administrators lifted her suspension. The punishment will also be wiped from her records.
"I just created the video in order to raise awareness of the major issue that's bullying," she said on the Today show.
Her video is below:
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 17 min 24 sec ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 21 min 51 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1 hour 37 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 2 hours 25 min ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM