Amelia Craig Cramer Heading Up Arizona Bar
BY Neal Broverman
June 25 2012 12:54 PM ET
Amelia Craig Cramer, an accomplished attorney and civil rights advocate, was named president of Arizona's 16,900-member state bar on Friday.
Cramer now lives in Arizona with her wife and daughter but previously lived in Los Angeles, where she was a managing attorney for the LGBT advocacy group Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund; she was also the executive director of the Gay & Lesbian Allies & Defenders when she resided in Massachusetts.
Cramer is a much-respected figure in Pima County, Ariz., where she currently serves as chief deputy attorney. She's fought hard for LGBT rights, by previously pushing for a repeal on the state's sodomy law and protections for Arizona's LGBT citizens.
Lambda Legal's head attorney in Los Angeles, Jonathan Davidson, praised Cramer and said her appointment was a very good sign.
“This is an important development,” he told the Washington Blade. “Arizona remains a conservative state. It’s a sign of progress.”
The Arizona state bar provided educational opportunies for attorneys and investigates ethic charges among lawyers. Read more here.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM