Judge Orders $500,000 in Legal Fees to Transgender Inmate
BY Michelle Garcia
September 18 2012 2:32 PM ET
A transgender inmate may receive more than $500,000 in legal fees after a judge ordered the state of Massachusetts to pay for her gender reassignment surgery.
Michelle Kosilek's request for gender reassignment surgery, was granted with a landmark decision by U.S. District Judge Mark Wolf earlier this month. Wolf now also says that Kosilek's legal fees, an estimated $500,000 or more, should also be paid by the state.
"Kosilek has prevailed on [her] claim that the defendant has violated his Eighth Amendment rights and is continuing to do so," Wolf wrote Sunday, according to the Associated Press. "Therefore, [she] is eligible to be awarded [her] reasonable attorney’s fees and costs."
Frances Cohen, Kosilek's attorney, said she has not tallied her bill, but estimates it could be about half a million dollars. Cohen did say, however, that the law firms involved in the case have offered to waive their fees to ensure Kosilek gets the surgery she needs without delay.
Kosilek is serving a life sentence without parole for killing her wife in 1990. She has sued the Massachusetts department of corrections twice, demanding that she be allowed to under go transition surgery. The department has until October 9 to appeal Wolf's most recent court order.
Both Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown and his electoral challenger, Democrat Elizabeth Warren, have both said they don't believe it is suitable for taxpayers to foot the bill for the surgery.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM